Qualified trainers and consultants can be licensed to teach the Clear Leadership course. The sequence for becoming licensed is different in different countries but generally takes the following steps:
Costs for becoming licensed vary by country and can be negotiated based on sales potential and other factors. Generally it costs about $5,000 Canadian. Licensed organizations and trainers are required to remit royalties for each person who takes the course.
1. participate in a Clear Leadership course
2. participate in a 3-5 day training for trainers course
3. one supervised delivery of the course.
Criteria for Acceptance to Teach the Clear Leadership Course
Prospective trainers for Clear Leadership must be professional instructors/trainers of leadership development with the following competencies and experience:
- Instructional Skills and Experience including:
- Comfort being a content expert.
- Comfort giving clear and specific feedback to learners.
- Skilled in various teaching methods including but not limited to lecture, story-telling, group discussion etc.).
- Give clear and concise instructions and directions.
- Ability to correct a person’s wrong answers without shaming.
- Visual Aid Use (comfortable with use of videos, flipcharts, PowerPoint etc.).
- Facilitation Skills and Experience including:
- Focus on group dynamics, behaviours and issues.
- Monitor the learning environment (e.g. control distracters, manage energy, use appropriate humour, storytelling, relationship with learners).
- Manage participation (e.g. appropriate use of questions and instruction, balanced air time).
- Manage difficult participant behaviours (e.g. over and under participation, aggressive behaviour, emotional behaviour, anger with learning process.
- Skilled in coaching in a learning environment.
In order to become certified to teach the course applicants must:
- Be able to bring their 'own material' and stories to make the program their own'.
- Walk the talk (e.g., use I statements, able to describe here and now experience, can listen for observations, thoughts, feelings and wants, can lead learning conversations).
- Have completed personal growth and self awareness work to a reasonable level.
- Be passionate about the content of the Clear Leadership book and course.
Three day Training for Clear Leadership Delivery
These 3 days are designed to build your skills and confidence in the delivery of the Clear Leadership Course. At this session you will:
- learn how this training is best delivered including perils and pitfalls, dealing with emotional outbursts, making the learning safe, debriefing intensity, making the determination that the learner is ok in intensity, increasing comfort with instruction vs. facilitation
- unpack the concepts including:
- the aware self (sense-making, clear language, mental maps and the experience cube)
- the descriptive self (transparent vs intimate, describing here and now experience, describing experience vs making judgments, learning conversations, coaching others to hear your experience)
- the curious self (listening through the cube, parking your reaction, coaching others to tell you their experience, inviting others into a learning conversation)
- the skills of clear leadership and clear followership at work (clear decision-making, map making, decisions as experiments, organization learning meetings, pinch theory)
- overcoming obstacles (fusion and disconnection, shame, interpersonal mush, interpersonal triangulation)
- practice teaching your 'hardest bits', set up a skills group, intervening in a skills group.